Instead of cake and ice cream, try a birthday party dessert inspired by both. This gooey trifle overflows with layers of vanilla cake, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, bananas, and drippy chocolate sauce.
Serves 10 to 12
- FOR THE PUDDING
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY
- Yellow Cake, baked in two 8-inch round cake pans
- 4 large bananas, peeled and halved crosswise then lengthwise
- 1/2 cup store-bought chocolate sauce, warmed
- 1 maraschino cherry, for decorating
- Yellow sprinkles, for decorating
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Make the pudding: Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Whisk together cornstarch, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk eggs in another bowl until smooth; whisk into cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- Whisk together milk and remaining 6 tablespoons sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly pour milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and pour through a sieve into a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and vanilla. Set bowl in ice-water bath, and let cool, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Pudding can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Make the whipped cream: Put cream into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the cake: Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes level, then cut each in half horizontally, making 4 layers. Place 1 cake layer into the bottom of a straight-sided 4-quart bowl (about 8 inches in diameter and 6 inches high). Spread with 1/2 cup pudding, then with 3/4 cup whipped cream. Arrange 4 banana quarters on top; top with another cake layer. Repeat 3 times, decorating final banana layer with a dollop of whipped cream. Drizzle with chocolate; top with a cherry. Sprinkle with sprinkles and nuts, if desired. Using a large spoon, divide portions among serving bowls. Serve immediately.